3.08.2007

Do you Trust Me?


Jeremy and I were able last weekend to attend a worship concert called "How Great is Our God." Chris Tomlin, Matt Redman, and Louie Giglio were there all three of which I greatly enjoy due to their commitment to the Truth. We especially enjoyed Giglio's talk. He used many examples from science (ie. astronomy, and the miracle of human development in the womb) to illustrate how HUGE our God is. One thing he said really stood out to me. I don't remember exactly how he said it but basically he said that sin distorts our view of God making Him smaller than He is and us larger than we really are. How true! In our quest for security, pleasure, and power (to borrow from the Manning book I am finishing) it is all about a magnification of self that makes us bigger in our own estimation that we in reality really are. How I have known this to be true. God is Huge. He is in control. He is the Creator God and in Him, Jesus "ALL THINGS HOLD TOGETHER"~ Colossians 1:17 (another point Louie made). This was all hitting me as I sat at the concert fighting fearful thoughts about my children (Zoe home sick with a temperature and Matt in my belly so out of my control).

This is where I am weak right now. Fear over something happening to one of my little ones, to my husband, or even myself has had a tendency to really creep in. Zoe had her first major sickness this same weekend of the concert. She had a temperature so high I was scared to death. I literally just laid my hands on Zoe and just prayed several times. She had no other symptoms other than the high fever and just crankiness that it caused. And then 2 days later it was gone and she was her energetic, into everything, ever exploring and wanting to be outside self. Thank you Lord. His voice echoes in my mind..."Do you trust Me?" Even if Zoe didn't get better. Even if tragedy strikes as He no doubt said it would in this world John 16:33 (my banner verse right now), do I TRUST HIM. I want to. I want to be at peace about trouble and death...things that are absolutely a part of life. I know that this peace He has promised me because He said so over and over in His Word. Death takes on such a different meaning when you have a spouse and children. You just don't think about it the same. But again in scripture it says very clearly that He has overcome death so that He "might free those who through fear of death were subject to slavery all their lives"~Hebrews 2:15. I don't have to be slave to this fear. It is NOT of Him. I just keep hearing "Do you Trust Me." Keep saying it Lord and keep teaching me how.

1 comment:

GClef1970 said...

Maggie -

So glad to see you blogging again! I, too, have struggled with this trust/control/faith issue when it comes to my child. When we found out last year that Conor had autism, my world came crashing in around me and I remember just hitting my knees and crying my entire soul out to the Lord. I didn't know what to do. I now had absolutely no choice but to trust in the Lord, because clearly I was NOT in control of this!
Know what verse He gave me, over and over again as I prayed to Him? Jeremiah 29:11. We always have to remember that He has plans to prosper us and not to harm us. To dwell on the inevitable (we all die) is nothing but worry.
Worry looks around. Sorry looks back. Faith looks up. :-)